Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Pet Cemetery - Part 1

I was on my way to town last week and took a shortcut that brought me by our county’s old pet cemetery. It’s been there as long as I can remember; just around the corner from the elementary school I was riding the bus to when I first spotted it. I’ve often wondered whose pets are buried there. As I slowed down to survey the property, something pulled at me. I turned the car around and went back for a closer look, parking in the only place I could, someone’s driveway.


A very weathered sign at the entrance practically whispered Pine Knoll Pet Cemetery. The trees that intertwine one another around the gravestones seem to be broken down or dying. Even the fresh grass following the recent rains looks to have grown in half dead. Every fiber of my being wanted to start clearing away the dead branches, dusting off the gravestones – reading each one along the way – and setting the crooked stones back in place. But alas, I was on my way someplace and couldn’t just alter my day on a whim.


Well, I haven’t been able to stop thinking about the cemetery. These questions haunt me: How did it come to be? Why was its specific location chosen? Who buried their first pet there? When did it begin sinking into its current state of dilapidation? What are the names of the pets buried there and the dates on the gravestones? The cemetery is so old I presume the owners of the buried animals and even their children have since gone to join their beloved pets at the Rainbow Bridge. Who remains now to keep the cemetery up?

The sign indicates that the cemetery is affiliated with the SPCA. I know that our SPCA is busy working with live animals, adopting them out to good homes, and saving others from high-kill shelters around the state. They don’t have time to care for pets that passed on years ago. That’s it! I have to do it. I’m going to organize a day, grab a friend or two, and perhaps I’ll even talk to the neighbor whose driveway I parked in. The lovely bones buried there seem to be asking me to honor their once-cherished lives and I’ll be darned if I can ignore them.

Please return for the conclusion of The Pet Cemetery – it’s sure not to disappoint.

To be continued…

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful location for a pet cemetary!
    It would be nice to have a bench there, if there isn't one already.
    Best wishes for your clean-up efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see a bench. I already rounded one person up to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for following me at http://enlightenedferret.com
    Perhaps you could inquire at the SPCA about the cemetry and find out when it was started and maybe you could get some kind credit for volunteering to clean it up. Also look at any of the local kid groups like 4-H and the Girlscouts or boyscouts to help. Those groups are always looking for good community projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jo! I've talked to the SPCA since writing this and can't wait to get started out there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Mari, that's awesome! I would come and help you if I loved near you.

    Michelle & Maiya

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's really interesting ! You know I'd be there to help you if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! We're waiting for the weather to cooperate and a little more history about the unmarked graves before proceeding.

    ReplyDelete