Monday, January 31, 2011
25 Ways to No More Homeless Pets
These 25 tips are from a Best Friends Animal Society bookmark. Since this qualifies as something you read, I'm passing along the bookmark, "e-style." Please pass these tips along and let's keep working together to end pet overpopulation.
1. Adopt from a shelter or rescue.
2. Volunteer at your local shelter.
3. License, I.D. and microchip your pet.
4. Spay or neuter pets before they are 3 months old.
5. Let officials know that you support animal-friendly laws.
6. Become a Best Friend member at www.bestfriends.org.
7. Donate pet food to your local food pantry.
8. Consider your family's lifestyle when choosing a pet.
9. Get pet insurance to help cover the costs of veterinary care.
10. Train and socialize your dog throughout his life.
11. Join or start a Trap-Neuter-Return program for community cats.
12. When moving, plan ahead to find a residence that allows pets.
13. Provide a landlord with a "good pet" resume with references and photos.
14. Develop and post a pet-friendly rental listing for your area.
15. Volunteer for or start a short-term pet fostering program for families in temporary need.
16. Use an air purifier and create a "no pet zone" to control allergic reactions.
17. Prepare your pet for the smells and sounds of a baby when you're expecting.
18. Teach youngsters how to treat animals they know and those they don't.
19. Request that the curriculum in your local schools include humane education.
20. Visit the Pet Care Library on the Best Friends Web site for resources.
21. Hold a fund-raiser for your local shelter or rescue.
22. Start an off-leash dog park.
23. Help look for a missing pet.
24. Foster a lost or homeless animal.
25. Join the Best Friends Network and get involved in your community and beyond: network.bestfriends.org.